When it comes to shingles, acupuncture offers a holistic approach that complements conventional medical treatments. Here’s how acupuncture may contribute to managing shingles and promoting overall well-being:
1. Pain Relief: One of the most challenging aspects of shingles is the excruciating pain that often accompanies it. Acupuncture has been widely recognized for its ability to alleviate pain by triggering the release of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers. This can provide much-needed relief for shingles-related discomfort.
2. Immune Support: Acupuncture is believed to enhance the immune system’s function by stimulating various immune cells and promoting a balanced immune response. This could be particularly beneficial for individuals dealing with shingles, as a robust immune system is essential for fighting off the virus.
3. Stress Reduction: Shingles can be a stressful experience, both physically and emotionally. Acupuncture sessions are known for their relaxing and calming effects. They can help reduce stress and anxiety levels, which, in turn, may support the body’s ability to heal.
4. Nerve Function: Shingles can affect the nerves, leading to persistent pain and discomfort even after the rash has healed. Acupuncture may help improve nerve function and reduce neuropathic pain, which is a common complication of shingles.
5. Overall Well-Being: Acupuncture is a holistic therapy that addresses not only the physical symptoms but also the emotional and mental aspects of health. It can enhance overall well-being and promote a sense of balance and vitality, which can be especially valuable during the challenging period of shingles recovery.
Combining Acupuncture with Medical Care
It’s crucial to emphasize that acupuncture should not be considered a standalone treatment for shingles. Instead, it can be a valuable complement to conventional medical care. If you suspect you have shingles or have already been diagnosed, it’s essential to consult with a medical healthcare professional. They can provide a comprehensive treatment plan that may include antiviral medications, pain relievers, and, if appropriate, acupuncture.
The Age-Immunity Connection: A Key Consideration
As we’ve explored, the age-immunity connection plays a significant role in the resurgence of shingles later in life. While acupuncture can be a valuable tool in managing shingles, prevention remains a critical aspect of maintaining long-term health, and medical vaccinations is beyond the scope of this blog.
Vaccination against shingles is a proactive step that individuals can take to reduce the risk of developing the condition or experiencing severe symptoms. The medical community feels that the shingles vaccine, typically recommended for individuals aged 50 and older, can boost immunity against the varicella-zoster virus, significantly lowering the chances of shingles or reducing its severity if it does occur.
Treatment Options for Shingles
Upon your visit, acupuncturist Dr. Stefanie Bennett will thoroughly assess your symptoms to devise a tailored treatment plan, incorporating acupuncture and other innovative modalities such as ATP Resonance BioTherapy™. Rest assured, your treatment will be personalized to meet your unique needs and health condition. Also, coordination with medical care is highly recommended.
Get in Touch With Us
At Bennett Acupuncture and Functional Medicine, we specialize in providing comprehensive shingles treatments in both Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach locations. We warmly welcome individuals from Orange County and its neighboring areas to reach out to us. Feel free to give us a call at 714-962-5031 or simply complete the form below to get started on your path to recovery.